Are Zombies Too Cool for Windows?



Zombie Thursdays is a weekly feature with guest blogger, Miranda. You can read more about her here.

I'm going to start right off by saying, "I'm a Mac." I've been a Mac my entire life. I've been a Mac before they were even called Macs. I grew up completely on the Apple product line; in fact, our basement is full of old Apple IIs, among other outdated Apple computers, that my dad has been buying and tinkering with since before I was born.

But trust me, this blog isn't about which is better, Apple or PC.

I love Apple. And I'm not a fan of Microsoft or Windows. And yes, I have used many a PC. If you're a fellow Apple fan, than I'm guessing that the Microsoft commercials bother you a lot, as they do me. Especially the new Windows 7 commercials. Most Apple users watch these commercials and lamely stutter... but... but... my computer has already been doing that... for years...

Again, not the point of this blog.

Even though I'm not interested at all in the Windows 7 ads, I was surprised to see their newest commercial features, what else? ZOMBIES! So today, I'm putting aside my hatred for Microsoft and Windows and will feature their newest ad campaign. And if you could just realize the intense hatred that I do have for "that other company," then you would know what a big deal it is for me to highlight their latest marketing strategy!

The newest ad features a bunch of friends playing a zombie killing game on their Xbox (and just how many times have you had to send in your Xbox because of the blinking red lights of death? Okay, okay, I'll stop bashing!). It isn't enough for the friends to kill zombies on the game, they want to learn more about the actual motivations of zombies. So they pull out their PC and bring up Windows 7 which allows them to view things from their computer on their television. What they find is a "documentary" about zombies in their natural habitats.



What they are actually viewing is a scene from the 1979 Lucio Fulci film Zombi II or, as it was released in America, just Zombie. Fulci is often referred to as the "Godfather of Gore" because of his extremely violent and graphic films, many of which were banned in certain countries.


This commercial does make me a bit excited. Once again, it just further proves the point that zombies are becoming a huge influence on our popular culture. Even mega-companies like Microsoft realize the potential they have at attracting customers based on the "cool" zombie appeal. This ad was an extremely smart move because it naturally appeals to a younger target demographic, and let's face it... younger kids aren't always buying PCs. Traditionally known as being used for boring business stuff, Microsoft needs to look young and cool and hip again, and what a better way to do it than with zombies? Also, hopefully people watching this commercial will wonder what the scene actually is and will learn a little bit more about some cool zombie films and a very influential director!

Although, it wouldn't be fair if I didn't point out the major flaw in the commercial-- the scene they used is one of the most famous from the film in which a zombie fights (not bonds with) a *Tiger Shark* and not a Great White as is stated in the commercial. One of these days, companies will actually employ fact checkers...

In the end, it is great seeing more zombies pushed to the front of American popular culture. Let's hope other companies follow suit and we start seeing some awesome horror commercials out there!