The Why and The When

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question for you to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you leave your link in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's question: When/why did you start writing?

For the record, my 9-5 job needs to stop sucking. The suckage isn't coming from workload, but the fact that due to corporate streamlining, people I like keep losing their jobs. This doesn't make for a conducive work environment where thinking is required.

So this week's RTW is timely.

I've always been a creative person and I was one of those kids who, when she shared a dream she had in the night, it was always some 20 hour epic. When I played Barbies, each doll was a specific character and each one had their own backstory etc. I was hard-coded for storytelling.

My first written story was in first or second grade and was co-authored with my friend Julie. It was about three friends (or it might have been sisters). We illustrated each page with extremely non-proportioned girls and even added a copyright date.*

I loved books, so writing was a logical thing for me to do, but playing with dolls always held a priority over everything. Once I was too old for playing with them, however, is when I truly began writing. My stories carried on where the lives of my Barbie dolls ended. The prose was terrible and the drama melodramatic. I loved every word of it though.

As the years pushed forward, I would pull away from writing for long stretches, but whenever I returned, I always felt at home and more at ease. Now, whenever I'm in a bad mood, I realize it's because it's been too long since I've created anything. Writing is what I need to do.

And with all the 9-5 bullshit floating around, I'm glad to know that my writing is always there.





*(Un)Fortunately, any existing copies are long gone.

 
______
Last.fm hit of the day: From Yesterday by 30 Seconds to Mars