My Favorite Reading Memory

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question for you to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you leave your link in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's question: What's your favorite reading related memory? 

Like any book nerd and/ or writer, books hold importance significance to me. I have a lot of memories associated  to books:
  • The Velveteen Rabbit convinced me that my toys came to life the instant I left the room.
  • Anne Rice instilled in me a love and respect for non-sparkly vampires.
  • One book destroyed my love affair with Stephen King, but one sentence restored it.
  • My mom shared her favorite titles with me when I was in seventh which began my year of reading the Bronte's.

But the one that sticks out is Little House on the Prairie series.

I've always been a voracious reader and as I've said before, this is my mom's fault. If I wasn't playing with Barbie dolls, my nose was in a book. This was true for our 2 plus hours drives to visit my father's parents in Connecticut.

On one of these visits, Ma Tante Georgette and her husband were visiting. Georgette was a former nun and current elementary school teacher in Small Town, New Hampshire.* She asked me about school, what I liked, and what I was reading. That Christmastime, I got a package in the mail from Ma Tante Georgette which included all of the books in the Little House series.

The stories and writing were great - it transported me to a different time and I found it exciting. But was makes this so great is that my aunt went out of her way and gave me this present. She wrote a note inside each cover too. I come from a large extended family and at the time, there were at least 34 other nieces and nephews besides me.

I still have all eight books too.






*Not a real town.
______________________
Last.fm hit of the day:The Whistle Blower by Chris Connelly