Surefire Methods to Beat Writer's Block

Every Wednesday, YA Highway asks their readership a simple question to answer on your blog. Once you answer, you link your blog in the comments for other readers to hop on board. This is Road Trip Wednesday.

Today's Topic: How do you beat writer's block?

Sometimes I think the ladies at YA Highway read my mind. I'm beginning to burn out from my frantic writing pace for Camp NaNoWriMo* and the other night I started five separate scenes before I found one that I could actually write. I can feel the writer's block creeping upon me.

Here are three things I do to trick writer's block into retreating.

Free Write. I open up Write or Die and set the timer for at least fifteen minutes. During the free write I examine why I'm blocked, what directions the story can potential go to, and use the word "cheese" or "blah."** Fifteen minutes is usually long enough to clear out whatever is trapped.

Exercise. If the free writing doesn't work, and I'm not in some crazy writer attire, I'll step away and go for a walk. Usually to Dunkin Donuts because what's better for writing than moar caffeine? To be honest, even when I'm not in writer's block, I think about story and plot when I'm exercising***.

Do Something Else. When I talked about writer burnout previously, I said that one important thing to do is to give your brain a break. For me this involves a lot of bad TV and crochet projects.

Your turn, Lurkdom. Do you have any awesome tips to beat writer's block?

* Yeah, that completely laid back attitude I had here? Non-existent. I want to win dammit.
** "Cheese" and "blah" get used a lot.
*** This is only when I'm not about to pass out from exertion. An athlete I am not.

___
Last.fm hit of the day: Nowhere by Murderdolls