YA Book Club: The Fault in Our Stars

This month's selection for the YA Book Club was John's Green's The Fault in Our Stars.When I found this out, I twitter-yelled at YA Book Club's brainchild, Tracey Neithercott. That conversation sounded a lot like this:

Me: Why are you making this happen NOW? I'd like to get through a month without crying.
Tracey: I wish I could send tissues through Twitter.

I'm not sure if it's hormones or age or my mortality is showing, but my eyes began watering on page one and did not stop until the end. TFIOS is one of those books where you just know it's going to end badly. You're reading about teens with cancer--of course it's not going to end well.

But this isn't a cancer book. It just happens that the characters have cancer. It also just happens that I still can't think about it without getting misty-eyed. In fact, I'm still processing it.

What I liked best about TFIOS is that, despite the sad factor, it was a very uplifting book. I found myself comparing it to Madeleine L'Engle's A Ring of Endless Light a lot. It gives off that same comfort factor that L'Engle gives me.

If you want to hear what others are saying about TFIOS this month, check out Tracey's list here.