Accountability Monday

To keep myself on task with everything I have to do outside of my day job, I've started Accountability Monday where I'll share my successes and failures from the past week and my goals for the upcoming one. If you too need something to keep yourself honest, feel free to join in.

I'm not ready for it to be the end of October, Lurkdom. I'm not prepared. At the day job, our department is relocating on Friday to a different floor and I haven't begun the desk packing process. NaNoWriMo is in a week and I'm not done planning. Hubby's having one of those milestone birthdays in about 33 days and I still haven't planned a single thing for it. 

Actually, it's almost like I'm in a version of tech week for a play. The lighting still isn't 100% solid and half the cast is missing their costumes, but come opening night everything magically is ready.
Credit


How I Did Last Week 


  • Complete query and synopsis. DONE
  • Begin formally outlining The SNI. DONE. I began it.
  • Stretch goal--> Exercise (outside of walking to work). Hahahaha. With the exception of a post-brunch, post-mimosa walk Saturday and a little wandering around Harvard Square yesterday before the NaNoBoston Meet and Greet, no.

My Goal(s) For This Week 


  • Send out SFLN to the two agents I promised it to.
  • Complete my plotting and preplanning for The SNI.
  • Stretch goal--> Exercise.

Biggest Challenge I Faced This Week 

Time. Motivation. The day job.

I'm not remotely joking about that. In a few spare minutes at the day job last Monday, I drafted a list of things that need to be done by Halloween. It's a full 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.


Something I Love About My WIP 

The challenge of worldbuilding. When you're writing anything, you need to know the world your characters live in. This is especially true when you write anything that falls within speculative fiction (fantasy, sci-fi, magical realism, etc.) because of things like magic systems or dragons or time travel. I need to know enough about my world to be able to draft yet still leave room for discovery while I'm drafting. Because the surprises are the best part of the drafting stage.

Random Factoid From the Week

The Japanese take their bowing seriously. Not only do kids learn at an early age how to correctly bow, but companies also have trainings on how to bow.

How's your fall going? Getting lots of stuff done? Share below and then stop by Pam and Quita's blog!